4/12/17

Under a Cloud of Suspicion

"A little malice adds a certain savor to life."
- Mr. Treves (Agatha Christie's Towards Zero, 1944)
Over a period of half a century, Lucy Beatrice Malleson wrote nearly seventy detective-and suspense novels and employed a handful of pennames, but the one that garnered her the most success was that of "Anthony Gilbert" and she used the name for the fifty-some books about her series-character – a morally ambiguous lawyer named Arthur Crook. A likable antihero cut from the same cloth as Craig Rice's John J. Malone and Erle Stanley Gardner's Perry Mason. 
 
I've only read six of her novels, a mere fraction of her complete output, but my sampling showed how she danced between domestic suspense (e.g. Something Nasty in the Woodshed, 1942) and the formal detective story format (e.g. Death Knocks Three Times, 1949). My impression is that she was more gifted when writing tales of suspense, but was not entirely inept when handling a puzzle-oriented plot. And that brings us to the subject of today's blog-post.

She Shall Die (1961) came late in Malleson's career and as a rule I tend to be little hesitant when it comes to detective novels published after 1959, but this particular title has been on my wishlist ever since I came across a short review by Nick Fuller on the GADWiki – who described it as a "really good" mystery with a "well-clued Agatha Christie-type solution." He also accurately described Crook as having "something of the gusto of H.M." So it was about time I finally knocked this title of my list.

Hattie Savage is the attractive "daughter of a rich tycoon" and she has a knack for attracting both men and trouble, which eventually lands her in a police cell on suspicion of murder.

The trouble began for Hettie when a young man, Richard Sheridan, proposed to her, but she rejected him and Sheridan did not take that very well. Sheridan told Hattie he would not be able to live if she did not accept him and threatened to put "a bullet through his brain," but instead of walking away from the situation Hattie did the unthinkable – she handed him sleeping tablets and told how many it would take to kill himself. So the next morning there's a policeman on her parents doorstep with the news that Sheridan had been found dead in his bed. The doctor had no doubt that he died from taking an overdose of barbiturates.

As to be expected, Hattie receives very little public sympathy and at the inquest "the coroner barely concealed his sense of outrage," but the jury returned an open verdict and she's free to go. She was not cleared from any wrong doings in the court of public opinion and within twenty-four hours of the verdict the anonymous letters-and telephone calls began, which made her decide to escape the limelight and "flee to Paris." However, the real trouble began to manifest itself during her absence.

During the inquest, Marguerite Grey, "a saleswoman in the glove department of Booties," came forward and claimed to have been engaged to Sheridan, which would throw serious doubt on Hattie's story, but Marguerite is unable to produce any proof and nothing was done with statement. But the small cast-of-characters who surrounded Hattie and Sheridan had not seen the last of her.

Marguerite is determined to wriggle her way into the community and begins with Sheridan's aunt, Miss Alison Sheridan, who runs a popular restaurant and she is the first to discover that the girl is a regular snake in the grass – one with a penchant for blackmail. Marguerite knows something about her dead nephew that has to be kept a secret. Miss Sheridan has to allow Marguerite into her home, but her blackmailing antics doesn't stop there and even tries to sink her claws into Hattie when she returns with a husband in tow.

However, Marguerite had "the natural vanity of the blackmailer" and it never occurred to her "she might be in danger herself." Unsurprisingly, someone ends up planting a knife between her shoulder blades.

U.S. edition
Hattie is placed under arrest and her new husband, Philip Cobb, rushes off to get the help of Arthur Crook, "that rogue elephant among lawyers," who only appears in the last five chapters, but that's all he needs to clear up this mess and even provides a false solution based on A.E.W. Mason's At the Villa Rose (1910) – which succeeded in completely throwing me off my game for a moment. The false solution was presented very convincingly and briefly assumed I had been foolishly trailing a well-placed red herring. Luckily, I was not entirely wrong about the explanation.

I correctly figured out what was at the heart of both deaths (spotted all the clues!) and this allowed me to identity the murderer, but got a thing or two wrong about how this information fitted the overall picture. Still, I was more right than wrong and loved the level of fairness that allowed me to play along on an equal footing with Crook.

She Shall Die may be a relatively short domestic tale with a small, intimate cast-of-characters, but the structure of the plot and placing of the clues is what one would expect from the Grandest of the Golden Age. On top of that, there are certain components of the plot that show some strokes of originality. So to know that such a classically-styled, fairplay mystery novel was published during that dark decade for our genre, the sixties, was very heartwarming, because there are not that many examples from the same period.

The only other (classical) examples I can think of are Robert van Gulik's The Red Pavilion (1961) and Helen McCloy's Mr. Splitfoot (1968). I'm sure there are a few more, but this was literary all I could think of at the moment.

However, while the plot burned and shimmered with all the brilliance of the 1930s, the cultural references clearly showed that the story was set in a completely different time. One of the characters mentioned they were living in "the shadow of the atom-bomb." Khrushchev gets a throw-away reference. A refugee committee hovers in the background and suspect they dealt with people who fled Eastern Europeans. A police sergeant is mourning the fact that "even the television had lined itself up with the wrong side," because they were giving away all the secrets of police work. I've always found these cultural and (now) historical references to be interesting ornaments on my detective stories.

Anyhow, She Shall Die is a well-written, fairly clued and soundly plotted detective novel that gives the reader all the room needed to arrive at the same conclusion as Crook, which should please every self-proclaimed armchair detective. I can therefore recommend the book to everyone who loves a fair shot at beating the detective to the solution. And you should be able to do it, if you're observant enough.

Well, let me cut-off this overlong review here and tell you that the next review will fall into the locked room-and impossible crime category, because I received some interesting titles in the mail this week. I just have to make a decision which one of those titles will be devoured first.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. :) A number of Anthony Gilbert titles that have been positively reviewed are not available via Kindle - glad this one is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Jonathan! And I hope you'll enjoy the book as much as I have.

      Delete
  2. Sounds good, TomCat. Thanks for a terrific review which makes me want to read the book and really, that's the kind of review I like best. I think in the past I might have gotten Anthony Gilbert mixed up with Anthony Berkeley. I tried one of Berkeley's books but just could not get through it. I suspect I'll have a better time with the other Anthony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious to know which one of Berkeley's books you attemted to read, Yvette.

      Berkeley tends to be excellent, but misfired a couple of times. The Silk Stocking Murders and Death in the House were abysmal. I understood The Wychford Poisoning Case was pretty bad as well.

      On the other hand, you have such gems as Jumping Jenny (my favorite), The Piccadilly Murder, The Poisoned Chocolates Case and Trial and Error.

      Or his true masterpiece, the final chapter of the round-robin novel, The Floating Admiral, in which he makes it look as if they (The Detection Club) planned everything from outset.

      So don't give up on him yet, but also enjoy Gilbert. There are several of her books available as ebooks.

      Delete
    2. I will take your advice to heart, TomCat. Since I did really give up after just the one Berkeley book - it was one where he was attempting a satire of other detectives and/or plots, I think. It was a while back, can't remember the name. Maybe it wasn't even Berkeley, though I could swear it was. It seems as if old lady memory strikes again.
      But no matter, I'll pick up a couple of the titles you mentioned.

      Delete
    3. You should have no trouble getting your hands on a copy of The Poisoned Chocolates Case, which has recently been reprinted by several publishers, but Jumping Jenny remains my primary recommendation. Good luck hunting them down, Yvette!

      Delete
  3. Oh I am just so envious. Gilbert is one of my favourite writers but her books are so hard to come by. this one seems like a real winner. Wish some publisher would publish her books.

    Incidentally, recently I came across a locked-room mystery and immediately thought of you. It is A ROOM TO DIE IN by Ellery Queen (Jack Vance). Have you read it? if yes, should I give it a go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, A Room to Die In. Yes, I've read the book, but it's a mixed bag at best. The impossible situation is actually one of Queen's best locked room ideas, but it's trapped in a mediocre novel.

      Sorry to be a cold shower on your enthusiasm, but honestly, I did not really like the book.

      Delete
    2. P.S. I loved that you thought of me when you found a locked room mystery! :D

      Delete
    3. Oh don't be sorry. I have read a couple of duds written by writers using the Ellery Queen name. I am sure this would be better than those since you say that the idea is good enough. And anyway, I have also picked up a collection by Douglas Greene in which the first story I read was pretty good.

      And your enthusiasm for Locked Room Mysteries is so great and engaging that I always think of you when I come across a mystery described as a locked room one. Yesterday I had a look at Heyer's ENVIOUS CASCA and again wondered whether you had read it and then decided you must have:)

      Delete
    4. Ah, yes, the EQ ghostwriters. Only a few of them were able to churn out a good, or even a half decent, book under the Ellery Queen name. Unfortunately, A Room to Die In is not one of them, but, hopefully, the locked room trick makes it worth your time.

      Yes, I've read and reviewed Envious Casca! A good Christmas-time mystery with a simple, but effective, locked room mystery. And honored that my name is becoming synonymous with the impossible crime story.

      You can find an orderly list of all my reviews and blog-posts by clicking on "The Muniment Room" at the top of the page. So if you ever wondered whether I have read a certain locked room mystery, you can probably find the answer there.

      Delete